Mr Marius Wheeler
Phone: (021) 650-4698
Email: marius [dot] wheeler [at] uct [dot] ac [dot] za
- National Diploma - Natural Resource Management
- Bachelors of Technology - Nature Conservation
Marius is responsible for the smooth running of two of the ADU's long-term bird monitoring projects. The Coordinated Waterbird Counts (CWAC) project is the main focus of his work. Additionally he also coordinates the Birds in Reserves Project (BIRP), and to a lesser extent the Nest Record Card Scheme (NERCS).
Marius is originally from Namibia, where he completed his schooling and part of his tertiary education. He has travelled extensively throughout Namibia and his advice to anybody that has not been there yet is to go and experience some part of that country. During his student years he did work on a species within the Polyrachis genus, looking at the local distribution and energy requirements of this species of ant. He also worked on the African Black Oystercatcher Haematopus moquini around the Walvis Bay and Swakopmund areas. His work was focussed on the demography of this species.
Throughout his time at the ADU, Marius has been involved with various research and training projects throughout South Africa, as well as a few other African countries. He enjoys the travelling and usually squeezes in a bit of birding wherever he can. “Yes I have a bird Life List, but I am not a Twitcher”. Marius is also a qualified bird-ringer and helps out with ringing and monitoring projects around Cape Town. Other interests include cycling, hiking and bee farming!
A. Refereed Papers
- Swanepoel D, Underhill LG, Wheeler M, Harebottle DM, Williams AJ 2006. Waterbirds at Theewaterskloof Dam, Western Cape, South Africa. Ostrich 77: 170-174.
- Simmons RE, Baker N, Braby R, Dodman T, Nasirwa O, Tyler S, Versfeld W, Wearne W, Wheeler MJ. 2007. The Chestnut-banded Plover is an overlooked globally Near Threatened species. Bird Conservation International 17:283-293.
- Altwegg R, Wheeler M & Erni B. 2008. Climate and the range dynamics of species with imperfect detection. Biology Letters 5pp.
B. Published reports and other publications
- Wheeler M.J. & Harebottle D.M. 2004. Coordinated Waterbird Counts (CWAC) Newsletter 24, June 2004. 13pp.
- Wheeler M.J. 2004. The Nest Record Card Scheme (NERCS). Bird Numbers 13(1):42-43.
- Harebottle D.M. & Wheeler M. 2004. Roost counts – adding value to CWAC and wetlands. Bird Numbers 13(1):46.
- Harrison J.A., Harebottle D.M., Wheeler M. & Young D. 2004. ADU celebrates 10+ years of bird monitoring. Bird Numbers 13(2): 4.
- Harebottle D.M. & Wheeler, M. 2004. African Snipe and other breeding records from Edith Stephens Wetland Park. Promerops 260:11.
- Wheeler M.J. 2005. Coordinated Waterbird Counts (CWAC) Newsletter 25, January 2005. 6pp.
- Wheeler M.J. 2006. Coordinated Waterbird Counts (CWAC) Newsletter 26, January 2006. 6pp.
- Berruti, A., Baker, N., Buijs, D., Colahan, B.D., Davies, C., Dellegn, Y., Eksteen, J., Kolberg, H., Marchant, A., Mpofu, Z., Nantongo-Kalundu, P., Nnyiti, P., Pienaar, K., Shaw, K., Tyali, T., van Niekerk, J., Wheeler, M.J. and Evans, S.W. (eds). 2007. International Single Species Action Plan for the Conservation of the Maccoa Duck Oxyura maccoa. AEWA Technical Series No. 15. Bonn, Germany.
- Harebottle D. M., D’Arcy P., Hancock P., Hearn R.D., Wheeler M. & Brewster C. 2006. Report on a waterbird ringing study at Lake Ngami, Botswana, 3-18 December 2005. ADU Research Report No. 70: 14pp.
- Harrison J.A., Harebottle D.M. & Wheeler M.J. 2006. Birds in Reserves Project: Instructions. ADU Guide No. 1.
- Harrison JA, Maciver M, Mbewu S, Wheeler M.J., Freeman B, Magazi T 2006. Bird monitoring on Intaka Island during 2005/06, and an overview of nine years of bird monitoring. Report to Blouvlei Environmental Committee. 36pp.
- Wheeler M.J. 2007. Coordinated Waterbird Counts (CWAC) Newsletter 27, January 2007. 6pp.
- Hancock, P., Allan, D.G., Harrison, J.A., Underhill, L.G., Wheeler, M.J., Herremans, M. & Hitchcock, W.A. 2007. Collecting information on nesting birds in southern Africa: The Nest Record Card Scheme (Botswana). BirdLife Botswana. 2006. 29pp.
- Doug M. Harebottle, Neil Smith, Les G. Underhill, Michael Brooks & Marius J. Wheeler. 2007. Southern African Bird Atlas Project 2. Kids-Gids. Eerste Afrikaanse Uitgawe. Avian Demography Unit.
- Wheeler M.J. & Harebottle D.M. 2007. Birds In Reserves Project (BIRP) Newsletter 9, November 2007. 4pp.
- Wheeler M.J. Wetlands and Waterbirds. The Gumboot. November 2007.
- African Waterbird Census Report for South Africa 2002-2004. As in: African Waterbird Census 2002, 2003 & 2004. Wetlands International. 2007. The Netherlands. In Press.